Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Post Number 1 - Welcome to Linz

I wanted to start the blog right away - even though I don’t have much to write.

Linz is an absolutely beautiful city and I’m so glad I decided to come. Classes don’t start for another two and a half weeks, so right now I’m taking about three hours of German a day, plus attending many informational sessions. The great thing is, there is very little homework and a lot of free time, so we have a chance to adjust. Between the inexpensive grocery store down the street and the many cafeterias on campus and in the dorm, I’ve been very well fed. No worries though, I think I’ve walked at least five miles every day.

Since classes haven’t started, the only people in the dorm and on campus are those who need to take intensive German, a.k.a. other exchange students. We’ve also spent time with our buddies, most of whom are locals from Linz. There have been a few events, and we’ve had such a great time! All of the exchange students are fun, adventurous and jet-lagged so we’ve had some interesting, slap-happy nights.
(My dorm – Julius RaabHeim. It's the big one.)

My dorm is very nice. For you UC people, it's almost Turner-like, but without the common area. I live in a single within a three-person suite; I have my own bedroom but I share a bathroom and kitchen with another girl from UC and a girl from Poland. Eventually I may start cooking, but the kitchen is small, and there is a cafeteria downstairs J

This weekend, we’ll be visiting the town Hallstadt on Saturday and hopefully going up to Oktoberfest on Sunday. *Fingers crossed that the trains don’t sell out.*

Bis später!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Maria,

    here's Charles from Nantes !

    good luck in your Austrian endeavour ! or should I say "enjoy tour stay !"

    see you in Cincinnati maybe ;)

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sister! Glad to hear you are having a good time so far. How was Oktoberfest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was great (see above)....btw... which ali/ alli/ allie is this? :) Sorry, all it says is allison....

    ReplyDelete